Friday, May 24, 2013

Toulouse, From Feral to Fabulous Part Two




For a long time we waited in that cage. Many people in blue shirts came to talk to us and feed us from the delicious smelling cans. It was good to eat, but brother scared them all away. He hated them for making us all so afraid. Sister nursed on the towel all day and night, never moving.

They turned the lights off sometimes, and everything was still and quiet for a while. But when the lights came on in the mornings, all of the dogs would start to talk and rattle their gates. Other cats were put in the metal caves across from us. Most of them were angry and afraid too. A few of them were serene—they rubbed their faces against the people in blue shirts. The cats that weren’t afraid got to leave. The people would gather them up in their arms and carry them away. The cats that were afraid stayed in their caves, sulking and crying. 

I don’t know how long we’d been there when she showed up. She flipped the lights on and walked past us. We watched her grey shoes as the passed back and forth. She was cleaning the cats’ sandboxes and changing their towels for new ones. She talked to them quietly as she worked. Her laces dragged on the floor, and I reached my claws out to grab them like I used to do with the blades of tall, bitter grass. She stopped and began to lower herself down to see me. I ran to the back of the cage and hid behind brother. He was fierce, and she leaned away. Like the rest, she whispered at us and then moved on. I didn’t expect to see her again—like the rest of the kind blue shirts. 

When I opened my eyes much later, she was staring at us. Brother was yowling, every hair on end, claws at attention, mouth wide and panting with fear. Her hand was floating over his face, and he sunk to the ground, absolutely insane with terror. She hovered there, her blue eyes rarely blinking. And then she had him in her hands. He screamed and twisted and tried to escape, but she had him. She wrapped him quickly in a small towel and held him to her chest, kissing his forehead as he snapped at her fingers. They disappeared.

Moments later, her hand was back—hovering over sister’s face. She was cooing as sister hissed and spat. It was quicker this time.

She picked me up last. She laughed when I didn’t howl and fight her. I didn’t even run. When she wrapped me up in that towel with sister, my body went limp. She pressed me close to her cheek and talked to me as we left the silver cave, and it almost felt like being pressed up next to my mother again, warm and soft.

I talked back when she spoke to me. I told her how sad I’d been, how much I missed my mother, how worried I was about my other three siblings. She listened while she arranged our new home with her other hand. She made us a new, bigger cave with soft blankets. She put a towel over the front too so brother would be less afraid. He had barely slept in days, and as soon as the cave went dark, shielded by the towel, he drooped over and snored softly.

I heard her outside, talking to a man and another blue shirt girl. They talked loudly to each other, discussing our fate. When she left with the man later that day, she took us with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment