Monday, August 5, 2013

Kuru



KURU
A Tale(Tail) of Growth and Development


Day 1 – Aug 3rd 
Awakened at 4:45 a.m. to a tiny black mass of fur screaming to the top of it’s lungs – Eris (my roommate) had discovered a screaming kitten outside his room at 3:00 am and brought her inside and placed in a cage with water and a towel.  AFTER fixing my coffee, I investigated the situation.  A black furry little ball cowered in the corner hissing, howling and mewing as I reached for her.  
After a few focused piercings, she began to settle down and start nuzzling for food –
After sending a hastily typed message to Amanda Paris at Southern Pines, I left this screaming mass of fur in her cage – When told I could bring her in at ANY time, I packed her up in a duffle bag and off I went!  OOPS – Not realizing it wasn’t quite 8:00 am, It seems I beat Amanda to work - LOL – After Amanda evaluated her and I took a few photos, she received flea treatment, worming, and initial shots.  I paid the surrender fee and thought I was off scott free… OOPS – she’s much too young and still needed to be in foster, as she weighed about 1 lb. – SO, I packed her back up with some kitty litter and food and headed back home!  I wasn’t going to leave this black beauty for someone else to foster.  She was given the name KURU, which means black in Japanese.
Back at home she screamed and hollered most of the day – any attempts to have her eat gruel, canned food and other variations resulted in a very messy kitten and me with puncture wounds!  She would quiet down when I covered the cage, but if she heard footsteps, the howling began.  After a day of she and I getting messy trying to get her to eat, at about 9 pm I heard her eating softened Science Diet food thanks to a gentle reminder from Aunt Dorothy, the Cat Lady.  Time for bed for me!

Day 2 – Aug 4th
The day started bright with a howling kitten still cowering – As I fixed breakfast for her and coffee for me, I took her out of her cage for play time.  She eventually tolerated petting and stroking – After cleaning her up, I managed to get her face into the food and she licked it off.  After trying this a couple of more times, she entered her cage and hid once again.  Oh well – we’ll see what happens!
Each time I call her name, she begins to call out mews and I play with her and stroke her – she is settling in beautifully, and when I put her back in the cage, she roams about, no longer cowering or hiding.
Kuru, my one month old foster kitten is finally eating, peeing and pooping! I call her name when I enter the house or the room she's in and she starts crying for me - I open her cage and she runs out to be held and snuggled with - she purrs when I hold her under my chin - she loves my beard!  I guess her birthday will be July 4, 2013!
Late in the afternoon after cleaning her again, we went to the bed and I let her explore – she would venture out, but run quickly back to safety under my arms or under my chin – OMG – I discovered her purring of contentment – what an exciting moment.  After a good meal, and a comfy bed, we both collapsed - 

Day 3 – Aug 5
She slept through the night!  After fixing her breakfast and my coffee, I let Eris play with her while I cleaned the cage - Her personality is really developing - this morning she loved jumping over the bars on my coffee table and running back for approval LOL - I'm gonna have to hire her as a maid, as she loves to dust under the sofa and chairs - after her play time this a.m. she dove into her food! I'm pleased with her progress.  She’s dozing after devouring most of the food placed in front of her – her litter box had small stools and clumps of urine, so I think we are finally moving forward!
I’m taking this quiet time to start this diary of her development – I can’t wait to get more pictures! After a brief nap, she wanted attention!  She began chasing a “bird” on a stick during play time – she began purring each time she rubbed against me.  I think she’s bonding!  The mews and cries are driving my dogs crazy!  She looks like an appetizer to them!  She thankfully was wary and ran back to me to stay away from those loud and boisterous animals!  So peaceful when she’s sleeping!
Took her out for photos – she’s a mess again with her food all over her – I didn’t notice until I saw the pictures – I guess it’s time for a bath with a warm washrag!

Stay tuned to Southern Pines Diaries for more on Kuru. A big thanks to Gus and other foster parents like him who are willing to take a hopeless little creature in and nurture them until they are more confident, stronger, and ready to be adopted out (or sent on the wonderful Rescue Waggin' transport). Fostering is hard work, but there is nothing in the world as rewarding. Please consider opening your home to one of our babies in need! Contact Southern Pines Animal Shelter at (601) 544-6632 for more information on fostering and other volunteer opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment