Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Orville's Story Part One



Today my new Mom brought me back to the place that I called home for a long time. It’s always so loud here with the other dogs competing for the attention of the people that walk by our cages every day.  I never wanted to come back, and I tried to be my best for my new family. I guess it wasn’t good enough. 

I can remember the first time I came to this loud place.  Before, I was in a loving home where I was fed, sheltered, and loved.  One day I decided to leave my house and explore, but soon enough I was worried about how to get back home. No matter how much I sniffed, I just couldn’t get back to my lady with the pretty smile and who gave me treats when I listened to her.  


I lost track of the days wandering the streets near where I thought my lady lived. I had to find food, and I needed to find her because I know she missed me.  I tried to approach other people to ask where to find her.  I was polite and friendly to them all but they didn’t care. All they saw was a big, black dog who had seen better days.  They all made angry noises at me and some threw things to chase me away.  Eventually, I quit trying to find my own home because it seemed hopeless. Instead, I hid under bridges or porches, scavenged for food, and ran away from the angry people that always seemed to be around.  

But one women was different. She had a nice smile like my own lady and she came up talking to me in a pretty voice. She petted me and talked to me before leashing me and leading me to one of those loud machines that went by so quickly on the streets. Was I finally going home? 

We drove for a while and the bumps and sways made me a bit sick, but I was too excited to worry about it. All I could think of was my lady and how much I wanted to see her again! Once the machine finally came to a stop, the smiling woman opened the door on my dark cell, and I could see again. But it didn’t look like home. It was bigger and so much louder than the happy place I remembered. The woman tried to pull me down but I resisted, shrinking back into the metal box.  I didn’t want to walk into the place with so many other dogs, but I didn’t have a choice.  The woman knew I was scared so she picked me up and carried me all the way into a room. She put me in another cage on the floor and left me there. All alone.
               

2 comments:

  1. So these blogs are going to contain made-up histories? I can certainly see trying to garner compassion for the animals, but fiction isn't the way to go. Writing about their strengths, the things the staff sees in the animals, training they've received from the staff, would be preferable to fictional histories, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We post many factual pieces about dogs that need homes in other places. This is a blog written by foster moms and dads, rescuers, and staff members who want to do something a little different for the animals they love in hopes it will pique an adopter's or donor's interest and open up a dialogue. There have been several animals adopted already because of the stories on the blog. One woman ready Holly's story (which is quite silly and was written by her foster dad) to her small children who fell in love with the heroine of the little tale and convinced their mom to add her to their family. Thanks to his made up history that little pup found her way into their hearts and into their home. We do thank you for your input!

      Delete